This is first image I have of the house. You may wonder why I am so close to the house and why I took a shot that was clearly blocked by trees. Well I had to stand this close to avoid getting the weeds in the viewfinder and it was the only way to see the house.
These next few pictures show the cleaned up exterior of the house. We had to remove the fences around the front yard, some of the trees and the three foot high weeds got trampled during demolition.
This area had a collapsed back deck and was home to weeds and waste. There were also some foundation issues causing leaking in the basement.
There was a giant crack in the side of the building filled with caulking, the window sills were cracked and a ready to fall apart.
The roof was also leaking.
This is the side view after clean up and restoration but before painting.
Now these views look like this:
Next we have some pictures from inside the house before the demolition. Most people thought I was crazy but I could see past what was here and imagine what could and would be here.
It is kind of hard to understand how the space looks from images so next up is the ground floor floor-plan and a few of the variations I designed along the way. I made lots of structural changes and some walls were removed while others were built.
By the last floor plan you can see how I managed to fit in everything I wanted with room to play around in the retail. I measured everything hundreds of times and tried repeatedly to explain to contractors that when they changed the plans by an 1" it changed everything for me. I may have gone through about 50 versions of these plans before I settled on the final layout.
The day I got the keys we had a little ceremonial breaking of the wall with a sledgehammer, hard hats, and some heals (heals never to be allowed on site during the renovation again).
I was at the renovation every day and part of every decision but I couldn't have done it without the great team keeping the old space on Spadina going while I was away. Alexis was there to help, as she always is, every step of the way. I couldn't ask for a better manager or friend!
Next I will include some before and after shots so it easier to make sense of the transformation.
Walking into Jewel Envy there is no longer a fireplace on the west wall.
Oddly enough the east wall also had a fireplace that had to be removed.
The floors and trim are all original. We recycled wood from areas that were removed to preserve the historical elegance.
This is the view looking out onto Marion St.
This is the view looking past the retail into the studio.
This was once the ground floor kitchen and is now another workspace.
Next up the basement.
This area became the washroom, home to the draw bench, and one of the studio wash up sinks as well as various other pieces of equipment.
We removed the closet behind the bin and opened up the space to become our polishing area.
This post became part of the wall opposite the kilns.
This is now a clean space for enamelling.
And on the other side of the wall is a clean kitchen with a computer and couch for work and relaxation!
Where the sink is sitting there use to be a non-functioning bathroom raised on a concrete platform.
There are still a few landscaping things I have planned and of course I am always buying equipment so I guess it will always be a work in progress. Looking back over what has been done I am very proud of this endeavor. I can say this is exactly where I wanted to be at this stage in my career and I look forward to many more years in this location working with the wonderful artists who are a part of the space.
I encourage you to stop in anytime for a tour of the studio and a look and what our incredibly talented jewellers do here.